In 2009, ALGO consists of:
ALGO 2009 takes place on the campus of IT University of Copenhagen, Denmark.
Algorithms as Green IT
· As the conference organisers have succeeded in making a special flight discount agreement with the Scandinavian Airlines SAS, we would like to encourage delegates to buy Carbon offset when flying with SAS in order to compensate their carbon-dioxide emissions caused by the travel. Under “Carbon Offset”, can delegates find more specific information.
· Possibilities of getting to Copenhagen by train from selected cities in Europe will be included under “Practical information”.
· Each delegate will receive a train ticket (klippekort) for their local travel during the conference week. This is to encourage delegates’ use of mass transportation.
· On the third day of the conference, a joint demonstration cycling event in Copenhagen will be arranged for all delegates. More details will be included in the programme and the registration form.
· To be a model for other delegates, members of the organising committee will only use either bicycles or mass transportation during the conference week.
Conference hall and meeting rooms
· The major part of the building management system allows conference facilities not to use energy when they are not in use. As to the remaining part, the Facilities Management staff will make sure that conference facilities do not use energy when they are not in use.
· Most of the items in the delegates’ conference bags are made from environmentally-sensitive materials.
Food and beverages
· The food, tea and coffee to be served at the conference will be 100% organic.
· Only water from the tap, which has good quality and is safe in Denmark, will be served.
· Only recyclable glasses and mugs will be used during the conference.
The three hotels that we have made special discount agreement with have been making great efforts for the environment and the climate.
· Hotel Opera is member of the Green Key, which is an international eco-label for tourism products. The Green Key originated for hotels in Denmark in 1994. Companies awarded with TheGreenKey® has to meet a number of environmental requirements and be actively engaged in, among others, reducing the consumption of water and energy; sorting wastes at point of use; using environment-friendly cleansing agents and detergents; etc.
· Hotel Cab Inn Scandinavia and hotel Cab Inn Metro are making an effort to become member of the Green Key. At present, both hotels have already taken action to diminish the consumption of water and energy through central heating system, utilisation of energy-efficient bulbs, application of water-efficient showers and toilets, etc. Environment-friendly cleansing agents and detergents are also being used at these hotels.